920 38 AV SW
Owner: Helen Louisy and Pearce Louisy, 1968 .
History: The house was constructed circa 1912. Information retrieved from the City’s Directories between 1913-1914 indicates the vacancy of the premises. The first recorded occupant was Chas. A, Brodigan, in 1915. He ws a coal dealer. Over the years there have been several owners, but probably the most prominent was Mr. Wilfred Ewan Corbet, who is listed in the 1920 directory asprivate secretary to the legendary Calgary pioneer P. Burns, as well as secretary treasurer, P. Burns Ranches Ltd .
Features: The exterior of this two and a half storey house has undergone few changes. For example in photograph 1, circa 1920, there is a porch at the north-west corner. It was subsequentlydemolished and replaced by an addition which is presently a laundry room with a broom closet and an adjacent two-piece bathroom. The original outside door has been retained, and is about tenfeet indoors .
The bevelled wood siding has withstood the harsh Calgary winters, and is in good condition, it is repainted approximately every five years .
There are three small leaded glass windows on the west side, another at the south-west corner, and two on the east exterior .
The attractive roof is described as being cross gable. The original was covered with shingles, which were damaged by a severe hailstorm circa 1985, and were replaced with concrete tiles .
A raised deck was constructed on the north-east exterior in 1983. It is accessed through the sliding glass doors of the kitchen .
The house has a minimal developed full basement, that has a renovated 3 piece bathroom. The original cast iron furnace is still efficient and provides hot water heating through the radiatorssituated in every room .
All floors with the exception of the kitchen floor were constructed with oak. During the 1950′s the floors in the dining room and living room were covered with wall-to-wall broadloom, and thekitchen and bathroom floors were subsequently tiled .
About that time, (Fifties), a second brick fireplace was built in the family room .
A very striking feature of the interior is the high ceilings on the main floor, and the chandeliers in the dining room, family room and front hallway .
The original garage was demolished circa 1958, and was replaced with at two car garage that faces the street .
City of Calgary Assessor’s department form has the 1912 assessment .