The gable-front home at 830 – 18 Ave. SW is typical of the houses in this area erected during the building frenzy of 1909 – 1912. The land was purchased from the CPR in 1906 and the 11/2 storey frame house was built in 1910/11 for an estimated cost of $1500. The property was immediately purchased by Walter E. Avis, an inspector with the Alberta Government Telephone Company. The Avis family owned and lived in the house for the next 75 years! The last of the Avis children passed away in the mid 1980s. The property has changed hands only twice since then. The interior has been upgraded, but the typical Douglas Fir trim is still intact and the oak fireplace mantel is similar to mail-order mantels advertised in Simpson’s catalogue of the time for $55.00.