WELCOME TO OUR HOME!
This wood frame house was built in 1908 at a cost of $3,783. The architectural style is based on the Prairie Foursquare which was popular from the mid-1890s to the late 1930s, and developed in response to the earlier, more ornate Victorian styles.
The Prairie Foursquare is a plain style, often incorporating handcrafted “honest” woodwork. The boxy shape provided roomy interiors for homes on small city lots, and the rooms arranged in quadrants eliminated the need for long hallways and made efficient use of interior space. Additionally, the simple, symmetrical Foursquare homes were less costly to build than the Victorian style, a factor in the working class community of Inglewood.
Some of the features of this home which demonstrate Foursquare characteristics include:
• Exterior cladding featuring two different types of materials
• low pitched, hipped roof and overhanging eaves
• Craftsman influences, including plain boxed columns and bracketed eaves
• Four rooms per floor, with a more open style than earlier Victorians
• Full front porch with wide stairs
OWNERSHIP OF 74 NEW ST SE
William Pearce, a renowned pioneer and surveyor who developed irrigation in Southern Alberta and helped establish Canada’s national parks system, was the original owner of the land. In 1903 Pearce purchased almost all of New Street on the river side.
The land was resold, and in 1908 this house was constructed. The predominant building material was local fir. The original owner was William H. Brady who worked as the Branch Manager at Crown Lumber, and later, as the Manager of Alberta Sash and Door, both Inglewood businesses.
In 1919, the house was purchase by Reginald Harvey, and his wife Margaret Louise. They owned Harvey Drug Co., which was located at 1123 9 Ave E. Reginald worked as the “druggist and dispensing chemist”, and his Iceland Moss cough syrup and Ginger Wine essence were particularly popular. The house was owned by the Harveys for a quarter of a century.
Beginning in the forties, the home had a series of owners, reflecting the increasingly transient nature of the community:
1944 – George H. Cutts (Retired)
1944 – Harry Vernon Harlow (Retired Engineer) & Helen Mary Harlow
1945 – Ernest Skirrow (Retired)
1947 – Samuel Poffenroth (Street Car Motorman) & Belle Poffenroth
1950 – Kate Goodwin (Widow)
1951 – John Henry Folkard (School Principal) & James Robert Folkard (Bus Driver)
1954 – Charles Miller Suitor & Marion Eva Suitor
1962 – Pauline Smolensky (married woman)
1973 – Marco Jurkovic (CPR Rail man) & Anna Jurkovic
1975 – Carol Rippel (Teacher)
1987 – Joan Green (Teacher) & Clifford Renshaw (Veterinarian)
In 1988, Richard and I purchased the house, and it has once again been in the possession of the Harveys for a quarter of a century. It is a wonderful home, and if the house has ghosts they are friendly spirits.
The house was featured in a Hollywood film called “Finders Keepers” (1985). Directed by British filmmaker Richard Lester, and starring Michael O’Keefe and Jim Carre, the film was a Box Office disaster, but older Inglewoodians still talk about the parties that took place in the house during the filming.
Our dream is that this house will still be here in 2112, and that it will continue to provide not only shelter and comfort, but also parties and stories for many generations to come.