Built in 1908 for O.S. Chapin, a Chicago-born implement and carriage dealer, this house is a very good example of a larger townhouse of the period. The house was subsequently inhabited by a number of occupants, including John Mosley, proprietor of the Imperial Hotel, and by William Birkenshaw. Birkenshaw may have been the original owner of the property, buying it as vacant land in or around 1907. In the 1930’s the house was converted into 6 apartments, with very little alteration to the original property. It was designated a Registered Historical Resource in 1981. The house is in excellent condition and is one component of an excellent historic grouping which includes the Lougheed Residence.