The first owner of this property was J. K. Lee, in 1911, when the value of the 25-foot lot was assessed at $200.
The house was built in 1912 for $2,000 by Joseph Summers, who had purchased the property. He was a building contractor who was born in England in 1875 and immigrated to Canada in 1906. His wife’s name was Sarah and they lived in Sunnyside (at 918 – 2 Avenue, which by an amazing coincidence is right across the street from where the present owner first lived in the community).
The only significant modifications which have been made to the house were converting it to 4 rental apartments and enclosing the recessed front porches on both floors in about 1950, and converting it back to a single house in about 1983.
The first people to live in the house were Paul and Lana Soguel, from 1913 till 1920. They were both born in the French part of Switzerland in 1870 and immigrated to Canada in 1912. They had 3 children. He was a watchmaker and worked for Black Jewelers in the Doll Block on 8th Avenue downtown.
After the Soguels, a series of people owned and rented the house over the years; the longest-term owner being Russell Tart from 1925 to 1935.
The present owners have lived in the house since 1987. They have been here much longer than any of the other residents – a quarter of the house’s life – and their two children have spent their entire lives here.