2405 3rd Avenue NW An Original Hillhurst Farmhouse
The original house was built in 1912. Two lots were sold to the owner in 1912 for 340$ per lot. Major settlement of the area began in 1905-1912 when waves of British and Scottish immigrants arrived to take part in the first of Calgary’s Big Booms. At this time the community received its first name Grand Trunk Subdivision in honour of the Grand Trunk Railroad. In 1910 the first paved roads began to appear and the open prairie became dotted with wood framed houses. Grand Trunk and Hillhurst emerged as thriving communities.
The original owner Howard Dixon was a tinsmith. Tinsmiths made cake stamps, pill boxes and objects such as milk pails, basins, cake and pie pans. A master tinsmith made more complicated pieces such as chandeliers and crooked-spout coffee pots. Tinsmithing was a popular and important occupation at the time supplying useful and inexpensive items.
By 1924 the house and lot and the lot next door were purchased by Henry Conn. Henry Conn and his wife Margaret Ellen Conn came to Canada from England in 1910 accompanied by 3 of their children- Fred, Nellie, and Tom. Two other children, Edith and Bob were born in Canada. Mr. Conn worked at Robin Hood Mills and Canada Brewing and Malting as a Stationary Engineer.
In 1950 the house was owned by Henry Conn’s son Thomas and his wife Alice Conn. The Conn family owned this house for 2 generations from 1924 until 1956. The Conn Family also owned the house next door until 1990.
The house has been lovingly restored and still retains its character such as original fir floors, steep attic staircase, and beautiful claw foot tub.