1915 5A Street Southwest, Calgary

832315-1915__5a_str_sw_p1

Calgary in 1913:
Population of 80, 851
10 Public Parks
85 Police Officers
31 Public Schools
72 km of Paved Roads
About the house:
Storeys: 2
Structure: Nailed Frame
Material: Wood
Style: Four-square, Cornbelt Cube
Roof Structure: Gable /Hipped
Walls: The walls were constructed through a combination of lathe and plaster. Newspaper and wood shavings were used to insulate the walls which explained those occasional drafty nights.
Flooring: The existing flooring throughout our house remains the original Douglas Fir planks. These planks were shipped from a sawmill in Port Moody, B.C., as identified by the stamps that still remain.
First Owner: James Estey was the Managing Director of American Agencies Ltd., an engineering and contractor firm. The office was located downtown at 513 8th Ave SW, almost directly north of this house. He also owned 1913 5A Street SW next door and constructed both houses at the same time in 1913.