1522 17 Avenue Northwest, Calgary

Year of Construction: 1915

1522-17 Ave NW – circa 1915
This home is the oldest home on the block! There are only approximately six homes within the Capitol Hill area that are approximately 100 years old and that have survived the wrecking ball.

This home was originally built in 1915 by a Mr. John Walker. Mr. Walker originally purchased the land in 1913. This was three years after the City of Calgary annexed land in 1910 to be included within the city limits. In 1913 the lot alone was valued at $325 and Mr Walker was required to pay $6.09/yr in taxes. He was a florist and gardener for Campbell Floral and lived in this home until 1916. There is not much more that is known about Mr. Walker; however, it is quite possible that he is buried in one of four following cemeteries in Calgary:
St. Mary’s Cemetery – John Walker (-1969)
Burnsland Cemetery – John Walker (1891-1930)
Burnsland Cemetery – John Walker (1880-1955)
Queens Park Cemetery – John Walker (1880-1955)

The home remained mainly vacant between 1917-1924, with two exceptions, one in 1918 when a Mr. Walter Maisey lived in the home for one year and in1923 when a Mr. William E. Gilliham also lived in the home for one year.

In 1925 a Mr Frank Hollingsworth, who was an Engineer for the Government Phones, lived in the home for one year before a Mr. Alfred S. Divall moved into the home in 1927 and remained living in the home until 1932. Mr. Divall worked at Price Edward Meat Market. Prior to Mr Divall`s occupancy at 1522, he had lived a few houses down at 1513-17 Ave NW (this house has since been torn down).

By 1935, this home`s longest tenant arrived. A Mr.Chester Henry remained living in the home for ten years until 1945. Mr. Henry held numerous occupations including a truck driver, mechanic, worked for Maclin Motors, a contractor and then was eventually employed by the City as a bus driver. Just like Mr. Divall, Mr Henry moved a few houses down into 1516-17 Ave NW (this house has since been torn down).

Both Mr. Dival and Mr Henry continued to live in their respected homes up until at least 1953.

In 1915 Alberta`s population was 375,000. By 1916 Calgary`s population reached 56,514.

Henderson Directories Calgary for 1522-17 Ave NW 1912 – 1953

Year
1912 – 17th Ave NW only went up to 11St NW
1913 – John Walker (pg. 344).
1914 – John Walker (pg. 353).
1915 – John Walker (pg. 344).
1916 – John Walker (pg. 346) (Alfred Dival lived at 1513)
1917 – Vacant (pg. 187)
1918 – Walter Maisey (pg. 200)
1919 – Vacant (pg. 227)
1920 – Vacant (pg. 218)
1921 – Vacant (pg. 211)
1922 – Vacant (pg. 217)
1923 – Wm E Gilliham (pg. 196)
1924 – Vacant (pg. 192).
1925 – Frank Hollingsworth(pg. 185) – eng Govt Phones (413)
1927 – Alfd. S. Divall (pg. 201) – Prince Edward Meat Market. (363)
1928 – Alfd. S. Divall (pg. 192).
1929 – Alfd. S. Divall (pg. 192)
1930 – Alfd. S. Divall (pg. 194).
1931 – Alfd. S. Divall (pg. 203).
1932 – Alfd. S. Divall (pg. 197).
1933 – Vacant (pg. 202).
1934 – Vacant (pg. 203).
1935 – Chester Henry (pg. 201). Truck driver (437)
1936 – Chester Henry (pg. 203). Contractor (446)
1937 – Chester Henry
1938 – Chester Henry
1939 – Chester Henry (pg. 208). Maclin Motors (459)
1940 – Chester Henry (pg. 215). Mechanic (576)
1941 – Chester Henry
1942 – Chester Henry
1943 – Chester Henry (pg. 204). Employed by the City (454)
1944 – Chester Henry
1945 – Chester Henry (pg. 107). Driver for the City (313) also a R. Henry worked for
Western Canadian Greyhound.
1948 – Stan Clarke (pg. 119);
1949 – Stan Clarke (pg. 172). Listed as house owner but no telephone
1950 – Cass Graychik (pg. 179). Listed as house owner with telephone
1951 – Cass L. Graychik (pg. 181).
1952 – Cass L. Graychik (pg. 188).
1953 – Chas MacDonald (pg. 196). Not listed as home owner or phone.