Wild Rose’s heritage goes back to 1908 when a Presbyterian summer tent service was held on the north hill in what is now Rosedale. In 1910 the North Hill Presbyterian Church was worshiping in the fire hall on 16th Ave NW.
In 1913 a basement church was constructed here at this site. In June of 1929 construction began on the present sanctuary and it was officially opened on January 5, 1930. At that time the church building was valued at $48,000 but had a debt of $26,000. The church debt was absorbed by members of the congregation in 1946 and the entire loan was repaid to those members in 1950.
The pipe organ was installed in 1948 and the balcony and tower added in 1952. In 1957 the adjacent Education Centre was built. At its peak North Hill United Church had the largest Sunday School in the city.
In 1968 Crescent Heights United Church (which was originally Methodist) amalgamated with North Hill United Church. The combination of the two names was eventually changed to Rosedale, as a symbol of a new beginning. In 2002 Pleasant Heights United Church joined with Rosedale United Church to form what was briefly called North Central United Church until the name Wild Rose was chosen.
The original pump organ is on display in the sanctuary, along with the beautiful memorial stained glass windows. The booklet “A Treasury of Sacred Art” describing the art in the church and is available free of charge. As well, there is a “Heritage Room” with photos and artifacts which we would love to share. Stop by anytime the church is open.