PATRICK HOUSE (1926)
1228 PROSPECT AV SW
The house is an English Revival style; the most notable features are its landscaped deep front yard and its variegated cedar shingle roof.
Dr. Omer H. Patrick, businessman, Board of Trade president and founder of the Calgary Zoological Society, built this house in 1926 and lived here until 1947.
R.W. Mayhew, a real estate agent, originally purchased this lot from the CPR for $450.00. The lot then went through a sucession of owners: Jas. Houston of Toronto (1911), William James of Calgary (1912), Arthur Bennett of Calgary (1913-1918), and Kate Ryan of Calgary (1918-1922). In 1922, through non-payment of taxes, it became City of Calgary property. Dr. Homer H. Patrick and his wife, Lulu F. Patrick, brought the lot in 1925 and built this two-storey wooden home in 1926. There is no record of an architect.
Omer H. Patrick was born in Alderton, Ontario, in 1869. He earned his medical degree at the University of Western Ontario in 1892, and practised medicine in Port Huron, Michigan, for twenty years. In 1912 Dr. Patrick, his wife Lulu, his son Lorraine and daughter Lenore moved to Calgary, where Dr. Patrick became active in business, politics, and community life. He built the Lorraine Apartments in 1913; bought a controlling interest in the Atlas Coal Company at East Coulee, Alberta, and later took over the company; and was president of National Securities Ltd. He founded the Calgary Zoological Society in 1928, and was its president until 1944. Dr. Patrick invested his own time and money in the development of the Calgary Zoo, and its dinosaur exhibit was very much his own creation. He served as president of the Board of Trade, the Kiwanis Club, and the Calgary Civic Government Association, of which he was one of the organizers. He was a director of Woods’ Christian Homes and was elected as a Calgary School Board Trustee. Dr. Patrick actively supported the Conservative Party, and managed R.B. Bennett’s campaigns in the federal elections of 1925 and 1926.
Dr. Patrick’s daughter, Lenore, married George Eaton, and they lived at 2222 12 Street SW, directly behind the Patrick house. The two yards were joined, and both houses had a lovely view of the city. There was a rock garden in the back yard, with a small pool stocked with fish. The house had a large living room with a stone fire place and hardwood floors. There was also a maid’s room for the live-in servant the Patricks employed. Dr. Patrick died in December 1947. Lulu Patrick continued to live at the house until her death in 1957.
Calgary Herald publisher Frank Swanson lived here from 1963 to 1966.
The house is an excellent example of the revival of interest in British architectural styles, made popular by returning war veterns. This English Cottage style features rough cast stucco cladding and a simulated thatched roof. The variegated cedar shingles are both striking and very rare. The site is typical of the Mount Royal district. It has a large front yard providing a spacious quality.