1212 1 Street Northwest, Calgary

Year of Construction: 1912/1958

Crescent Heights Baptist Church began in the summer of 1907 as a Sunday School outreach to the North Hill from First Baptist Church downtown. A.J. McArthur, the developer of the Crescent Heights subdivision and an elder at First Baptist brought young Archie Gordon up to the sparsely settled prairie heights to begin a Sunday School Mission in his real estate office on 1st Street. Within two years the mission had become a church plant when Crescent Heights Baptist Church was formally established as part of the Baptist Union of Western Canada. In 1912 the church opened its new red brick church building on the corner of 1st Street and 11th Avenue NW and the church has served the city and its community ever since. In 1958 the old building became the foundation of the expanded building that since 2006 has housed not just the original congregation, but the Chinese-language Blessed Christian Church, and the Korean-Canadian GoodTree Christian Fellowship. Crescent Heights Baptist truly reflects the realities of the new Calgary as it continues to minister to its community with open doors for those who would “encounter Christ in caring relationships.”