Built in 1908, the Hunter Block (1209 5 Ave NW) is one of the earliest structures on 5th Avenue NW, it is also a rare surviving example of a small-scale neighbourhood grocery store. The land was purchased by John R. Hunter, a building contractor, in December of 1904 and the building was constructed for or by him in 1908. He then sold it to plasterer Theophilus Thompson in 1911 where it remained in the Thompson family until 1948. It has now been in the Moore family for over 65 years
The store housed a series of grocers and confectioners that operated under various names including: Riley Park Grocery, Louie’s Grocery and Kim’s Grocery among others. It also played a central role in daily community life, and functioned as a common meeting place for local residents
The building is a modest Edwardian Commercial-style design typical of its era for small grocery stores. It has experienced minimal exterior alteration, and retains storefront elements including the large display windows and roofline metal cornice. Notably, the interior painted wood tongue-and-groove wall and ceiling boarding is still intact! A cornice with decorative scroll brackets at the corners ornaments the exterior facade.
It has been operating as Pushing Petals Flowers for over a decade and it is still a warm and friendly meeting place for the local residents; with the popular “If Your Name Is…” sign attracting attention for all passersby and with some requesting their names appear.