246 23rd Avenue NW, Tuxedo Park
1911 land title description: Lots 22-23, Block 33 according to a play of the part of the said City of Calgary of the record in the Land Titles Office for the South Alberta Land registration District as ‘Calgary 2129O’
We acknowledge that we live on Blackfoot Territory.
House: The style of our house is Edwardian Vernacular and we believe it was built in 1913. It is constructed of brick and wood and has the typical features of an Edwardian Vernacular house: typically 2 storeys, exterior cladding in narrow boards, the ground and upper floors would often be different materials and colors, multi-paned windows on the full-width verandah, front entrance assymetrically placed on one side.
The layout of the house remained unchanged until the kitchen was upgraded and a living room addition was added in 1999. The owners just before us did a lot of renovation work on the house, and we upgraded the back deck last year. We have an energy-efficient furnace and currently participate in Bullfrog Energy, a green energy scheme that has reduced our greenhouse gas emissions by 28.5 tonnes and has injected over 38,000 kWh of green electricity into Canadian energy systems.
People: Although we have the land titles of the property dating back to 1905 (when the property seemed to change hands quite frequently due to the housing boom), we could not find any useful information on any of the previous owners. It seems that the longest residents were Edgar Smith (teacher) and his wife Dorothy, who owned the house for 30 years. It appears other working-class folk have occupied the house as well: manufacturer, correction officer, self-employed, planning technician, economist, and letter-carrier were some of the professions of the owners listed, along with their wives.
Notable amongst the women’s history of the house are the owners Thelma Collison and Grace MacLeod, who each inherited the house (Thelma in 1961, transferred to Grace in 1963); and Margaret Russell, a doctor who lived with the letter-carrier in 1978. We don’t know how many children were raised in the house, but since it is only a 2-bedroom (a third bedroom added in the 70s/80s?) we don’t imagine too many large families lived here. The house is currently owned by 2 visual artists/cultural workers.