WELCOME TO OUR HOME.
Constructed in 1913 at the end of a frenzied housing boom, this house
was built in the Edwardian vernacular style. Less ornamental than the
previous Victorian style architecture, and referencing classical architectural
elements, this house demonstrates several typical features from this time period.
• its steep gabled roof with shed dormer windows
• open front verandah with square columns
• two distinctive exterior cladding materials; wood shingles and narrow boards
• asymmetrically placed front entrance
• diamond pattern leaded windows
WHO LIVED HERE?
The original owner of this house was Benjamin A. Huckell, a real estate agent at Sandeman Cope Co. Mr. Huckell was also a journalist who went on to become famous for winning the Pulitzer Prize in 1937. He sold the house in 1915 to Frederick C. Potts, a clerk at the Calgary Land Titles office.
DID YOU KNOW?
• Originally part of the Nimmons Ranch, Bankview was annexed to the City in 1908
• Typical lots in Bankview were selling for as low as $1,000 in 1912
• The southern end of 15th Street was originally called Osler Street
• Calgary’s population was around 90,000 in 1914