1905 Cottage House

232 6A Street NE (formerly Dresden Street)

This cottage home was built in 1905. It probably was the first house to occupy this block on what was then known as Dresden Street in the community of Germantown (later Riverside and now Bridgeland).

Between 2006 through 2008 the home’s interior was significantly redesigned and modernized and won a design award – keeping only the exterior framework; the original fir floors and the area below grade.

Who lived in this home prior to 1910 is unknown, but the two known original owners (as of 1910) were two Italian neighbours who subdivided the property within a short period of time and both worked at the City of Calgary. Guiseppe Boffa emigrated to Canada in 1907. He lived at this address until 1912 with his wife and four children, moving to a larger home a few blocks away on the side of the hill on the west side of Edmonton Trail; then moved to Fort William (Thunder Bay), Ontario in 1916; then along with his wife and one of their daughters returned to the town of Piozzo in Italy in 1938 where they presumably lived out their lives.

Domenica Carreno emigrated to the USA in 1900 and came to Canada sometime after the San Francisco earthquake and fire. He lived next door (at #230) with his wife, five children and three boarders as recorded in 1911 until 1916. He then along with his family moved to Hollywood, California to join the eldest son who left for California the year prior. Domenico passed away in Los Angeles during September 1943.

From the 1920s to the 1970s the home was occupied by three different employees of CP Rail and their spouses and children (if applicable) – they were Alex Daubert, Peter Litzenberger and the longest occupants Frank and Francisca Lehnert who stayed for 40 years.

From the early 1970s to late 1990s, the home had many people come and go, with speculators buying and selling it in the 1980s and the condition of the property deteriorated until a young couple purchased it in 1999 and later facilitated the extensive renovations which began in 2006.